The 113th Cavalry Group, known from its coat of arms as the Red Horse Cavalry, was launched into action against the Germans for the second time in its history on July 4, 1944 in the St Jean de Daye area. From that time until the German surrender Der Führer's soldiers felt both the lightening thrusts and the steady pressure of this distinguished unit. The Group, which comprises Headquarters and Headquarters Troop 113th Cavalry Group, Mechanized, 113th Cavalry Reconnaissance Squadron, Mechanized, and 125th Cavalry Reconnaissance Squadron, Mechanized, ( see memorial on TAPS page )started its military career as Iowa National Guard Cavalry in July 1915, and during World War I it saw action as a machine-gun unit. Called into Federal Service again on January 13, 1941 with one Squadron "mechanized" and the other "horsed", the Regiment became fully mechanized in April 1942. Preparation and training for World War I I carried the Regiment to Camp Bowie, the Mexican Border, and Camp Hood, Texas; and to Camp Livingston and Camp Polk, Louisiana, as well as to three large-scale Louisiana Maneuvers. In August 1943 the 113th Cavalry became Corps Reconnaissance Regiment for the III Armored Corps, later XIX Corps, an association renewed in England in early 1944 and maintained with few interruptions thereafter.
On February 6, 1944, the 113th Cavalry Regiment was reorganized into a Group Headquarters and two Squadrons, the 113th Cavalry Reconnaissance Squadron, Mechanized, and the 125th Cavalry Reconnaissance Squadron, Mechanized. Col. William S. Biddle, of Portland, Oregon, and U.S. Military Academy Class Of 1923, who had commanded the Regiment, became the Group Commander; and Lt. Col. Allen D. Hulse of San Antonio, Texas, and U. S. Military Academy Class of 1938, who had commanded the 1st Squadron of the Regiment, assumed command of the 113th Cavalry Reconnaissance Squadron. The 125th Cavalry Reconnaissance Squadron was commanded by Lt. Col. Jeff F. Hollis, of Tampa, Florida, who had commanded the 2nd Squadron of the Regiment. Lt. Col. Anthony F. Kleitz, of Denver, Colorado, and U. S. Military Academy Class Of 1933, took command of the 125th Squadron in August 1944, at which time Lt. Col. Hollis assumed the duties of Group Executive Officer. Primarily intended and trained for long-distance mounted reconnaissance, the Red Horse Cavalry saw all kinds of action in Normandy, Northern France, Belgium, Holland, and Germany, usually in the forefront of the battle. In its first engagement, in Normandy, the Red Horse Cavalry put aside its mechanized reconnaissance tactics and cut its teeth on one of Hitler's best SS Panzer Grenadier Divisions, the 17th, when the Group crossed the Vire et Taute Canal on July 7th and took the towns of Goucherie and Le Mesnil-Veneron. For four days, it fought in the treacherous hedgerows against what turned out to be the spearhead of a German counterattack aimed at Carentan and Isigny, and won the commendation of Maj. Gen. Charles H. Corlett, XIX Corps Commander. Following a Task Force of the 29th Infantry Division into St Lo on July 18th, the 113th Cavalry Reconnaissance Squadron attempted mounted reconnaissance to the high ground south of that city; but German paratroopers were found to be too deeply entrenched in the hedgerows, and so the Group, working under the 35th Infantry Division, again went into dismounted action. A rugged week, with intense artillery, mortar, and small arms fire, followed, during which both Squadrons took turns patrolling well into enemy lines.
On July 28th, by-passing St Lo, the Red Horsemen moved towards Percy to join Brig. Gen. Maurice Rose and his 2d Armored Division Combat Command "A". Here the Group forward Command Post and Troop ,B" 113th Cavalry Reconnaissance Squadron were cut off with part of Combat Command "A" at Villebaudon for two days when Hitler's 116th Panzer Division counterattacked towards Le Mesnil Herman. Severe fighting, and heavy artillery and mortar fire, were encountered here, but presently the enemy effort was spent. and it became possible slowly to resume progress to the south. From July 3oth to August 4th, the Group operated under 28th Infantry Division, maintaining flank contact with other units from the vicinity of Percy to Margueray. During part of this general period, the 113th Cavalry Reconnaissance Squadron performed a true but difficult mechanized cavalry reconnaissance mission, moving with the 2d Armored Division in their advance west of Vire, over roads where mines and booby-traps were plentiful. This mission completed, the Group, reunited, joined in the advance on Gathemo. After Gathemo had fallen, the Red Horse got his first opportunity to stretch his legs. On August 13th, in a fast move of the type which made it famous, the Group marched 32 miles to Mortain, paused, and then established a moving screen in front of the crack 3oth Infantry Division to Dornfront. Here the 125th Cavalry Reconnaissance Squadron cooperated with the 82d Armored Reconnaissance Battalion in the capture of that heavily defended 17th Century Fortress, participating in the heavy fighting on the flanks of the Armored Reconnaissance Battalion, while the 113th Cavalry Reconnaissance Squadron fought hard and well in covering a sizeable gap between two advancing infantry regiments. For this screening operation, the Group was commended by the Division Commander, Maj. Gen. Leland S. Hobbs. Before daybreak on the morning of August 19th, the Group again jumped off with the mission of preceding the 3oth Infantry Division, this time to the Brezolles area, there to cover the de-trucking of that division, which was leading the XIX Corps in its fast flanking move to cut off the retreating Germans who were streaming out of the Falaise Gap. Late the same day, the two Squadrons had not only completed this march of some 106 miles but had established contact with very strong enemy forces on the river Avre southeast of Verneuil, and had set up a series of road blocks to insure the unhampered de-trucking of the division. During the night of August 20th, the Group "spread out" to the west from Verneuil to Sees to fill a 35 mile "gap" between XIX Corps and V Corps. This, zone was greatly narrowed the next day by the arrival of an infantry division and another Cavalry Group; and so the Red Horse units closed in towards Verneuil and then commenced a 36 mile advance to the north, protecting the Tomahawk Corps' left flank. In the execution of this mission the Group reconnoitered and cleared out the area between the Verneuil-Le Neubourg road and the Risle River, including the great Forets de Breteuil and de Conches, and established first contact with powerful British forces which had just closed the Falaise-Argentan Gap and were advancing from the west. During a 3-day period of this operation, the Group captured 1000 prisoners of war and inflicted an estimated 400 enemy casualties; and during five days, it cleared an area of more than 430 square miles. In its next operation, the Group crossed the Seine River on the outskirts of Paris at St Germain-en-Laye early August 28th, and in 4 days routed a desperate enemy from over a 175-square-mile triangular area northeast of the Seine and southwest of the River Oise. Here the Red Horse Cavalry, reinforced by Company "B" 82d Engineer (Combat) Battalion and Company "B" 803d Tank Destroyer Battalion, fought "on its own", without support and separated from the remainder of the Corps by the unaffordable Oise, over which all bridges had been destroyed. In this area, which had once been a German industrial center, one sea-plane assembly plant, several underground Luftwaffe repair shops and depots, and 9 V-1 launching sites were overrun. It was here, too, that the gratitude of the French people became so evident; and their willing assistance to drive "Le Boche" frorn France counted for much.
On September 1st, the Group, still reinforced, crossed the Oise River at Beaumont-Sur-Oise and led the infantry divisions of XIX Corps - the 30th and the 79th - on a 2-day dash through northern France across the Belgian border to Tournai, a distance of over 150 miles against enemy opposition. The first night was spent on the River Somme, over which the retreating Germans had destroyed all bridges; and, although patrols crossed promptly, it was necessary for engineers to construct a bridge before main forces could continue the advance. This was done early the next morning; and, after sharp engagements by both Squadrons in the vicinity of Cambrai, the Belgian border was crossed on the afternoon of September 2d, Red Horse units being among the first Allied troops to enter Belgium. On September 5th, the Group, again under the Tomahawk Corps, and with Company, "B" 82d Engineer (Combat) Battalion and Company "C" 803d Tank Destroyer Battalion attached, moved out on what is believed to have been one of the most spectacular mechanized cavalry reconnaissance missions in military history, when it made its brilliant dash across Belgium 3 days in advance of the Corps. Light and moderate resistance, which was encountered everywhere, was fought and eliminated or brushed aside, and heavy resistance, of which there was considerable, was reported and by-passed. All types of enemy, from Panther tanks to infantry, were encountered. Messenger service was maintained by plane and communications by long-distance radio. A more perfect Cavalry mission could hardly have been imagined. Many towns were "liberated" and the joy of the Belgians knew no bounds. Armored cars and jeeps were festooned with flowers and laden with delicious fruits. Champagne and fine wines flowed freely - dug up from the yards and gardens after 4 years when "les Americains" appeared. On the afternoon of September 8th, the objective - the Albert Canal - was reached, after an advance of 128 Miles across Belgium; and the Group set up a screen along the Canal. Famous Fort Eben Emael,. which was found to be occupied by a battalion of enemy, was reconnoitered by patrols. On the morning of September 11th, the Group, having been relieved by 30th Infantry Division, which had made a forced march to reach the Canal, made a sweeping 35 mile "end run" to the south to cross the Meuse River at Liege and then move north along the east bank of the river against stiff opposition, pushing the enemy to the north and securing a bridgehead south of Visé which made possible the construction of a bridge and the crossing of the river by the 30th Infantry Division. Then, attached to 30th Infantry Division, and with the 125th Cavalry Reconnaissance Squadron on the right flank and the 113th Cavalry Reconnaissance Squadron on the left flank, the Group continued to move north and northeast, assisting the division in the liberation of Maastricht and sharing the honor of being the first American Troops in Holland. Not long after, troops of the I25th Cavalry Reconnaissance Squadron entered Germany, among the first elements of XIX Corps to cross that frontier. Soon after, the powerful 2d Armored Division crossed the Meuse and seized the area north of Maastricht. On September 19th, the Group (less 125th Cavalry Reconnaissance Squadron which, for some 2 weeks, remained with 30th Infantry Division, effectively protecting that division's right flank generally northwest of Aachen) relieved elements of 2d Armored Division on the line from the Maas River to the German Border, generally north of Sittard, Holland. The 744th Tank Battalion (Light) and 246th Engineer (Combat) Battalion joined the 113th. Cavalry Group at this time, the former remaining attached for some 3 months. On September 22d, the Group sector was extended eastward to include Gangelt, Germany, giving the Group a front of over 10 miles, which was held until November 13th under the successive control of XIX Corps, 29th Infantry Division, XIII Corps and Guards Armored Division (British). In late September, the 125th Cavalry Reconnaissance Squadron rejoined the Group and the 246th Engineer (Combat) Battalion was relieved from attachment. Company, "C" 234th Engineer (Combat) Battalion and Company, "C" 821st Tank Destroyer Battalion then took over the support of the Group, and a number of field artillery battalions became closely associated with the Cavalry, including the 92d Armored, the 111th and the 283d. Furthermore, the 17th Cavalry Reconnaissance Squadron, of the 15th Cavalry Group, was attached to the 113th Cavalry Group during its final two weeks in the sector. This long period was not entirely a defensive one, however, as soon after taking over the sector from 2d Armored Division, the Group, reinforced also by Company "G" 66th Armored Regiment, launched an attack which rolled its left flank along the Maas River northwards a distance of some 3 miles. In early October, a gallant effort was made to advance the Group line further to the north, but the enemy strength was such that this line remained largely fixed until mid-January when powerful British forces launched their successful attack. Although the Group's mission thus became defensive, continuous and aggressive cavalry patrols harassed the enemy and gained a wealth of information. The Red Horse Cavalrymen, with 744th Tank Battalion (Light) still attached, next moved to the Geilenkirchen area, taking over, in late November and under 84th Infantry Division, a sector within the Siegfried Line, vigorously defended by German Infantry supported by tanks and much artillery. The town of Beeck was captured November 29-30th by 125th Cavalry Reconnaissance Squadron, strongly reinforced by 1st Battalion 333d Infantry Regiment. For 2 days, that Squadron was subjected to intense artillery shelling in this area, receiving, during one period of 6 or 7 hours, some 1000 rounds of various caliber's. In conjunction with the German counter offensive against the First U.S. Army, launched early December 16, 1944, enemy paratroopers were dropped in Ninth Army rear areas during the night December 16-17, to disrupt communications, destroy supplies, and seize installations. Accordingly, on December, 17, the 125th Cavalry Reconnaissance Squadron, then in 113th Cavalry Group Reserve south of Geilenkirchen, was given the mission, in the general area Maastricht-Aachen-Liege and under Ninth Army control, of patrolling, setting up road blocks, and being prepared to move, rapidly to meet air-borne threats in the area. The remainder of the Group remained on its defensive mission in the Geilenkirchen area until shortly after Christmas, when, as the XIX Corps moved south to the vicinity of Aachen to take over the divisions formerly under VII Corps, the Group, which had become attached to the 102d Infantry Division on December 20, was relieved of its sector in the Geilenkirchen area. Moving to the area of Gey at the northern edge of the Hurtgen Forest, the Group, less 125th Cavalry Reconnaissance Squadron and 744th Light Tank Battalion but reinforced by 295th Engineer Combat Battalion and supported by 25th Field Artillery Battalion and Company "C", 817th Tank Destroyer Battalion, relieved. during the night December 25-26, the 330th Infantry Regiment of the 83d Infantry Division, which had just completed the clearing of the west bank of the Roer River in the vicinity of Winden and Untermaubach. During the defense of this difficult sector of the north shoulder of the "Bulge", the Group patrolled aggressively, and during the night January 19-20, Troop "C", 113th Cavalry Reconnaissance Squadron conducted a raid across the Roer, returning with 6 Prisoners of War, the first taken on the Corps front for over three weeks. Furthermore, 234th and 82nd Engineer Combat Battalions successively joined the Group, under a rotation scheme for Engineer Battalions directed by the Commanding Officer, 1115th Engineer Group; and on January, 28, 1945, 125th Cavalry Reconnaissance Squadron relieved 113th Cavalry Reconnaissance Squadron in the defensive sector and was in turn relieved by the latter Squadron on its rear area security mission under Ninth Army. Early in February, when XIX Corps regrouped for offensive action, in preparation for "Operation Grenade", the crossing of the Roer and the advance to the Rhine, the Group, less I13th Cavalry Reconnaissance Squadron but again reinforced by the 744th Light Tank Battalion, moved north; on 6 February 1945, relieved elements of the 29th Infantry Division along the west bank of the Roer River in the vicinity of Inden, a sector which was held, initially under 29th Infantry Division but principally under 30th Infantry Division, until February 24. A very grave threat to the forthcoming operation was the possibility of the flooding of the Roer River Valley by the enemy, should he blow the Urft and Schwarnmanual Dams; and on 9 February, the Roer River began to rise, following the opening of the flood-gates by the enemy. The flood continued until the night of February 13-14, when a drop was first noticed. On the night of February 22-23, the speed of the current had diminished to a point where the river could be bridged; and following an intensive artillery preparation fired by over 500 guns, the 30th Infantry. Division, crossing a difficult stretch of river and swamp, moved rapidly to the other side, and had their bridgehead well in hand by the end of the first day. All elements of the Group remained in their defensive positions until the success of the Division attack was assured, after which they passed into Division Reserve.
On February 26, the Group, less 113th Cavalry Reconnaissance Squadron and 744th Light Tank Battalion, moved across the river and, reinforced by the 801st Tank Destroyer Battalion, successively covered portions of the Division's (and Corps') right flank and rear between the Hambach Forest and the Erft River, until progress by VII Corps units on the right relieved the Group of its mission. The direction of the Corps attack, in wheeling to the northeast instead of crossing the Erft River and attacking Cologne, had thrown the enemy off balance, and the speed of the advance did not give them breathing space to stop and organize. The resistance encountered by the Group varied from scattered elements of Infantry and Panzer Divisions, which had been chopped up by the swift advance of the 2d Armored, 29th and 30th Infantry Divisions, to stubborn resistance met by 125th Cavalry Reconnaissance Squadron on February 28 from dug-in infantry and from mortars and self-propelled guns, at Bedburg, guarding the crossing, of the Erft River. On February 28, the 113th Cavalry Reconnaissance Squadron rejoined the Group. With the seizure of the west bank of the Rhine River from Neuss to Uerdingen, the Corps was ready and anxious to force the crossing forthwith, and plans were made for the Group, which on March 1 had passed into Corps Reserve, to exploit a breakthrough after the initial crossing. However, higher headquarters decided to delay the crossing until a coordinated drive could be launched which could be sustained until final victory, and so extensive preparations for the crossing were initiated by assault troops. On March 10, the Group, still reinforced by the 801st Tank Destroyer Battalion and now supported by the 2d Armored Division Artillery, moved to the Rhine under XIX Corps control and occupied, until March 29, a 15 mile defensive sector on the west bank of the Rhine River from Dormagen to the Erft River, relieving the 4th Cavalry Group, reinforced, of VII Corps. In the great amphibious operation of crossing the Rhine, the XIX Corps was selected to spearhead the Ninth U. S. Army drive, once the bridgehead had been established. The latter operation began on the night of March 23, under XVI Corps; and by March 29, the 2d Armored Division, leading the XIX Corps advance, had crossed the Rhine and was attacking east, north of the Lippe River. The 113th Cavalry Group, with the 801st Tank Destroyer Battalion still attached, crossed the Rhine on March 30. Early on April 1, it commenced execution of the mission of protecting the north flank of the Corps, maintaining contact between the forward elements of XIX Corps (2 Armored Division) and XIII Corps (5th Armored Division), and initially of screening the assembly of the 30th and 95th Infantry Divisions. This proved to be a difficult mission, for upon reaching the Dortmund-Ems Canal, the 2d Armored Division, finding the bridges blown, built its own bridge, and rolled on east to establish contact near Paderborn with troops of VII Corps advancing from the southwest and thus seal off the Ruhr. Accordingly, forward elements of the XIII Corps were not able to maintain the pace of the 2d Armored Division; and so at one time the Group, which became attached to 30th Infantry Division on April 2, was disposed over a front of 35 miles. After the sealing off of the Ruhr, it was decided that the 2d Armored Division, followed in trace by the 30th Infantry Division, and with the 83d Infantry Division, reinforced, operating abreast and on the right, would attack east, - while the other divisions of the Corps were helping to reduce the Ruhr pocket.
On April 3, therefore, the Group, less 125th Cavalry Reconnaissance Squadron and 801st Tank Destroyer Battalion (which were to remain with 30th Infantry Division until the Corps north flank should become more secure), became attached to 83d Infantry Division; and on April 4th, reinforced principally by 2d Battalion 331st Infantry, motorized, 25th Field Artillery Battalion, and by 736th Tank Battalion (less Medium Tank Companies), and later (April 5th) rejoined by 125th Cavalry Reconnaissance Squadron, the 113th Cavalry Group operated in advance of the 83d Infantry Division on its drive to the Weser River, eliminating light and moderate resistance and containing and by-passing heavy resistance to be dealt with by infantry elements which followed. On the first day of this operation, the Group came up against the Teutoburger Forest on a long, high ridge running generally north and south across the Corps sector, and, after hard fighting, broke through that obstacle. When the Weser River was reached, on April 6th, the bridges were found blown, although often the destruction had been accomplished at the last moment. Crossing the Weser River on April 7th, over a bridge constructed in the southern part of the 2d Armored Division zone, the Group, with 2d Battalion 331st Infantry, motorized, and 25th Field Artillery Battalion still attached, moved southeast across the Division front and then screened the advance of the right Regimental Combat Team of the 83d Infantry Division and protected the Corps right flank to the Leine River, where bridges were seized across the river. In the course of this operation, on April 9th, the 125th Reconnaissance Squadron became attached to the 30th Infantry Division, which had been given a zone of action on the northern flank of the 2d Armored Division. The Squadron, reinforced principally by Company "C" 801st Tank Destroyer Battalion, 30th Cavalry Reconnaissance Troop and 1 Platoon 743d Tank Battalion, operated in a zone on the left flank of 30th Infantry Division, protecting the left flank of that Division and maintaining contact with elements of XIII Corps. On April 11th, personnel the Squadron played prominent roles in negotiations, never consummated, for the surrender of Braunschweig. On April 13th, the Squadron reached the Elbe River and defended its western bank. Also on April 9th, the Group accepted the surrender of the city of Einbeck, captured by Troop "B" 113th Cavalry Reconnaissance Squadron, and a considerable number of German officers, including two General Officers and five Colonels. During the night April 9-10, 113th Cavalry Reconnaissance Squadron defended city against a threat from a large column of enemy tanks and horse-drawn vehicles which were approaching from the southwest in an attempt to escape east.
On April 11th, the Group (less 125th Cavalry Reconnaissance Squadron, Troop "A" 113th Cavalry Reconnaissance Squadron which passed into Corps Reserve, and Troop "C" 113th Cavalry Reconnaissance Squadron which was attached to 330th Infantry Regiment), with 3d Battalion 331st Infantry, motorized, and 25th Field Artillery Battalion attached, moved rapidly along the northern edge of the Harz Mountains, successively capturing Ilsenburg, Altenburg and Wernigerode, where stiff resistance was encountered after entering the town. Moving east, it fought gallantly on April 12th and 13th in an effort to reduce the fortified town of Heimburg, strongly held by dug-in infantry on high ground dominating the approaches to the town. Establishing road blocks along the northern edge of the mountains, the Group, rejoined by Troop "C" 113th Cavalry Reconnaissance Squadron late on April 12, aided in sealing off the large pocket of German troops who had sought refuge in the Harz Mountains, center of much tradition of the ancient German gods. Early on April 14th, elements of the 8th Armored Division relieved the Group of its road blocks in the Harz Mountain area; and the Group, less 3d Battalion 331st Infantry and 25th Field Artillery Battalion, then moved to the east and defended the exposed southern flank of the Division (and Corps) as far east as the Saale River. Commencing April 17th, the 113th Cavalry Reconnaissance Squadron, under Group control and reinforced by 83d Cavalry Reconnaissance Troop, assisted in the cleaning out of' the pocket between the Saale and Elbe Rivers; and on April 19th, the Squadron moved up and took over the defense of the west bank of the Elbe River, in the Division sector, south of the bridgehead which had been established by the 83d Infantry Division opposite Barby and Breitenhagen. On April 23d, the Group, rejoined by Troop "A" 113th Cavalry Reconnaissance Squadron on April 21st and by 125th Cavalry Reconnaissance Squadron on April 23d, also took over the defense of the Elbe River north of the bridgehead, and assumed responsibility for the security of the entire Division area west of the Elbe and helped institute Military Government in that area. On April 30th, 113th Cavalry Reconnaissance Squadron took complete administrative charge of a considerable sector west of the Saale River and set up facilities for receiving and feeding thousands of displaced persons who were being brought from the west. Following the capture of Zerbst by the 329th Infantry Regiment on April 28th, the 125th Cavalry Reconnaissance Squadron, which had, on April 23d, relieved the 113th Cavalry Reconnaissance Squadron of the defense of the Elbe River line, fought east and southeast under Group control, against resistance, and, after a brilliant 2-day operation which placed the Squadron some 25 miles beyond other elements of the Corps, made contact with the 1st Battalion 320th Infantry Regiment of the 121st Russian Elite Infantry Division, at Apollensdorf, on 30 April 1945, the first contact between the Ninth U.S. Army and Russian forces and the second contact between American and Russian forces in the European Theater of Operations. For its combat performance under 83d Infantry Division from 3 to 30 April 1945, the Group received the written commendation of Maj. Gen. Robert C. Macon, Division Commander. May 1st therefore found 113th Cavalry Group performing two entirely separate and widely divergent missions - one of Area Security and Military Government in a considerable area west of the Saale River; and another of maintaining contact with the Russian forces well east of the Elbe River. Later, the Russians moved west to the Elbe, and on 5 May, therefore, the 125th Cavalry Reconnaissance Squadron was withdrawn west of the river and took up the mission of security and Military Government in a portion of the Group sector.
On 5 May the Group became attached to 30th Division Artillery and its sector of responsibility was extended east to the Elbe. On 7 May, the Group was relieve preparatory to rejoining XIX Corps in its new occupational area, near Bad Nauheim, north of Frankfurt. During 312 days of combat and over a distance of some 800 miles from the Normandy Bridgehead to east of the Elbe, the Group destroyed or captured approximately 600 enemy tanks, armored cars, half-tracks and vehicles, captured 21.599 prisoners, and overran many factories, supply depots, airfields and installations. Furthermore, it won 3 written commendations from Commanding, Generals of Corps and Divisions under whom it had served, and decorations won by individual members of the command included, as of 9 July 1945, 2 Distinguished Service Crosses, 1 Legion of Merit, 96 Silver Stars, 454 Bronze Stars, 870 Purple Hearts, 1 Legion d'Honneur (French), 7 Croix de Guerre (French), 1 Military Cross (British) and 1 Military Medal (British). This, then, completes the Saga of a Cavalry Group which, through its gallantry, its skill and its high esprit, gained for itself an enviable reputation as a hard fighting and versatile combat unit.
Conducted by reconman
special thanks to: Chaplain Ben L. Rose, of the WWII 113th Cavalry Group