On Sunday, September 17 1944, this farm was located in the centre of the area designated by the Allies as one of the drop and landing zones for the largest airborne operation ever. The farm was easily recognisable for pilots from the air, because the name ‘Paulushoef’ was visible in large white letters on the roof. Besides more than 4,500 paratroopers, 53 Waco gliders landed here. They were attached by a cable behind the Skytrain transport aircraft and released above the landing zone. The gliders carried jeeps and other vehicles and troops.
The inhabitants of the farms in the Sonniuswijk helped the Americans in every way.
In the days that followed, the area was still being used for landings and dropping reinforcements, heavy equipment and supplies.