The division insignia is a circular design consisting of a black "9" on a silver background and a silver "4" on a black background separated by a diagonal line, within an olive drab border. The insignia has no heraldic significance.
Arrived European Theatre of Operations on 11 August 1944.
Arrived Continent 5 September 1944 and the Division entered combat at 17 September 1944. First elements entered battle at 10 September 1944.