The division insignia is a three lined checkerboard design of blue and white squares centered on a black shield. Originally planned as a Pennsylvania unit, the horizontal band of white and blue squares was adopted from the coat of arms of William Pitt for whom the city of Pittsburgh was named. The black background represents the iron district of Pennsylvania.
Arrived European Theatre of Operations on 10 October 1944.
Arrived Continent 6 November 1944 and the Division entered combat at 9 November 1944.