Railway Bridge Near Serquigny, France, on the Main Line from Caen to Rouen.
The bridge consisted of four 44 ft plate girder spans. Two of the spans were cut near the centre pier and dropped into the river.
In the reconstruction for single line working 30 ft of each of the damaged spans were repaired, jacked up and re-supported on a light standard steel trestle pier built on foundations consisting of six 3 ft dia concrete pipes sunk in the bed of the river and filled with mass concrete. The remaining gap was spanned with RSJs.
For the second line, two standard 40 ft sectional welded plate girder bridges were erected by 45 ton breakdown crane to span the original pier and abutments.
Work commenced on 31st August, 1944, single line was opened on I0th September and double line on 22nd September, 1944.