Battle of Britain Pilot:
- Sydney Howarth Bazley Flight Lieutenant
- Nick name whilst at 611 Sq. was “Kidney Bean”
- Service number: 90359
- Born in Stockport, Cheshire : 03-11-1913
- KIFA Gedney Hill , Lincolnshire: 02-03-1941 age 27
- Flying accident, Spitfire MkI serial X4613 lost wing and crashed R.A.F. 266 Sq. commander of B flight
- 04-04-1937: Granted commission as P/O in 611 Sq. (day bomber unit A.A.F. until 01-01-1939)
- 14-11-1937: Entitled to wear Pilots Flying badge 04-10-1938: Promoted to rank of Flying Officer (announced 14-01-1939)
- 26-08-1939: Flying F/O post 611 Sq. (Fighter Sq. 01-01-1939 onwards)
- 02-09-1939: First record of flying operationally (K9980)
- 04-09-1939: Command of ‘A’ flight 611 Sq. Duxford 21-10-1939: First real operational sortie from North Coates leading Yellow section (L1053)
- 02-12-1939: Demonstration flight Spitfire at North Coates to Naval and AA Officers together with other representative aircraft from other RAF units
- 01-03-1940: transferred to 266 Sq. (Rhodesia) at Wittering
- 05-03-1940: Command of ‘B’ flight 266 Sq.
- 03-09-1940: Promoted to rank of Flight Lieutenant
Photograph of 611sq. above was taken at Duxford in 1939.
Standing on wing: P/O M.P. Brown and P/O D.H. Watkins.
Standing L to R: F/O B. Heath, F/O H.R. Hamilton, F/O M.P. Brown, F/O S.H. Bazley, P/O C.H. MacFie, F/Lt. J.E. McComb, Sgt. unknown, Sgt. J.R. Mather, Sgt. H.S. Sadler.
Kneeling: F/O R.K. Crompton, F/Lt. K.M. Stoddart, F/O W.J. Leather, F/Lt. A.J. Banham
Photograph courtesy of Aldon P. Ferguson, historian and archivist 611 Sq.
MacFie, McComb, Bazley, Leather, Watkins and Stoddart at Duxford. Speculation: It is possible that this photograph was taken at the same day as the previous one. Only Bazley has changed his clothing and is now wearing a pilots overall.
Photograph with courtesy of Aldon P. Ferguson, historian and archivist 611 Sq.
Please read the whole story (personal life, belongings, a very interesting article with many pictures)
Story and source: http://www.mijnoudespulletjes.nl/bazley.html